Rackspace Application Engineers are an extension of our Fanatical Support team and are responsible for providing deep application support and advisory services for eCommerce and Content Management application platforms and associated technologies. Application Engineers work closely with Rackers, customers, and systems integrators to provide a seamless and customized design, architecture, and support experience. Engineers engage to resolve customer issues, manage ongoing technical projects, and support our Application Architects, who act as thought leaders by shaping and defining the offering.
The Oracle Commerce Engineer (ATG) will support and maintain customer configurations through all phases of the customer lifecycle including initial design, implementation, performance tuning, and security hardening. In addition, this role will assist and support the ATG Application Architect in developing automation around the ATG platform, in an effort to provide scalable and repeatable solutions for application installation and customer deployments. Acting as a partner to our customers and internal teams, the Application Engineer is responsible for creating customer loyalty through extensive knowledge in application and infrastructure performance tuning, and by working with internal teams to deliver a comprehensive, consistent and Fanatical customer experience.
The Application Engineer may take on the additional responsibilities of representing Rackspace in product meetings and to third party vendors, and in mentoring and developing more junior team members. The Application Engineer will often be tasked with resolving complex customer issues, facilitating OS-specific meetings and training sessions for knowledge sharing, managing long-running projects for internal and external customers, and owning the technical development of the Critical Application Services team.
Overview & Responsibilities:
· Provide deep Oracle Commerce (ATG) application and infrastructure support
· Design, develop, test, and implement new configurations, architectures, and standards
· Provide guidance, to customers, 3rd party integration specialists, and/or internal teams, on solutions to increase application availability, redundancy, scalability, and performance
· Assist customers and internal teams to automate processes and incorporate best practices & methodologies
· Provide leadership and guidance when customer downtime issues arise and provide RCA support as requested.
· Show ownership of issues through resolution and maintain customer loyalty by serving customers via phone, tickets, and email
· Assist in the technical development of peers.
· Represent the Critical Application Services team and Rackspace in meetings with internal team and third party vendors
· Manage long-running and complex projects for internal and external customers
Key Performance Indicators
· Customer/Internal Feedback (delivered via Unsat Ratings and/or email & phone).
· Stability and performance of customer applications, as relates to customer uptime, using internal monitoring tools.
· Customer retention and growth as a result of consistently delivering high levels of service & support around customer application stability.
· On-time and accurate completion of assigned projects.
· Proven expertise with the Oracle Commerce (ATG) platform.
· Demonstrated understanding of System Configuration Management tools including Ansible, Chef or Puppet.
· Experience with system architecture, environment sizing. Working knowledge of web development technologies such as Java.
· Fundamental understanding of supporting database technologies such as MySQL and Oracle
· Experience with search technologies such as Endeca or SOLR.
· Familiarity with Source control systems such as Git, Subversion.
· Experience with Code Build and Deployment technologies such as Jenkins.
· Ability to work with development teams on the deployment of web based applications.
· Proven ability to advise and guide solution discussions for large scale customer facing internet applications.
· Acts as the escalation point for all ATG application specific issues.
· Designs environments from specifications. Analyzes, evaluates, tests, documents, and implements complex ATG solutions.
· Participates in the evaluations, recommendation, and selection of hardware and software solutions.
· Performs project management of estimating, scheduling, and monitoring tasks.
· Performs engineering tasks associated with the analysis, design, and deployment of computer hardware, and/or operating systems.
· Interfaces with different departments within the organization regarding new deployments.
· Monitors application for expected performance and assists with tuning when appropriate.
· High School Diploma Required.
· 3-5 years experience supporting Linux application servers and platforms leveraging Java framerworks.
· 5+ years hands-on implementation and configuration of Oracle eCommerce (ATG) applications is required.
· Understanding of basic networking concepts, operations, and support.
· Occasional domestic travel, less than 10% (1 or 2 client visits per year)
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems preferred