(Remote) Senior Software Developer - Rackspace Private Cloud
As a Rackspace Private Cloud (RPC) Operations Automation Software Engineer, you will
define, develop, and integrate open source solutions that support our
organizational vision: To become the preferred brand for consuming complex open
source infrastructure, as-a-Service, delivering industry-leading simplicity,
efficiency, and reliability.
Our team supports this mission by improving the tooling and automation around hands-off hardware/inventory discovery and configuration, bios and operating system installations and updates, automated cloud, container, and storage installations and upgrades, and fleet wide centralized configuration management for all operational systems located in data-centers throughout the world.
The ideal candidates must be interested in building quality, highly scalable, highly available, well documented, and well tested software to automate operational problems at scale for the entire stack; from new hardware to a completely operational cloud deployment.
- Hours: We have flexible working hours and aim for a median of 35-40 hours a week
- On-Call: No, though deploying new systems will require a level of care and feeding
- Location: Work from home, where ever that might be, with offices in the US and UK
- Travel: About once or twice a year for a conference or team gathering
- Work directly with support engineers, operations, product management, and end-users
- Develop automation to improve efficiency, reliability, and simplicity of clouds
- Develop and delivery SOA and consistent, reliable API and command line tools for operational use by other groups
- Take high level problems and autonomously deliver solutions supported by data
- Architect, design, and develop solutions that leverage and integrate existing open source tools and technologies
- Engage asynchronously with team members via Slack, Jira/Trello, github, and email
- Engage synchronously with team members via video calls
- Take ownership of a feature/bug and work independently to implement.
- Write clean, robust, maintainable code.
- Develop tests for your code, using unit, functional, integration, and user story/use case approaches.
- Co-design solutions with the team, users, and other internal teams.
- Implement proof of concept, prototypes, and production-grade software.
- Take part in discussions on various topics relating to the project.
- Take part in team meetings and discussions with other projects.
- Help other team members on issues they are stuck on or mentoring team members.
- Facilitate design discussions with developers from Rackspace as well as the OpenStack and other open source communities
- Collaborate with other developers, quality engineers (QE), ops engineers and support engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continual operation and fanatical support of quality software.
- Be a positive influence on the team.
- Mentor emerging developers.