- EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: Requires a minimum of 2 years Linux systems experience, including systems administration or engineering experience. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field preferred. Linux certifications preferred.
- KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITY: Solid knowledge of major Linux flavors and distributions. This includes installation, patching, monitoring, tuning, customizing, securing, troubleshooting, and automating. Firm command of shell scripting, DNS, SSH, HTTP, and TLS/SSL. Overall technical understanding of enterprise datacenter hardware builds and server intersections with the operating system (e.g., configurations of storage, disk, SAN) and other enterprise technical experience and knowledge of networking, firewalls, load balancing, troubleshooting, stack trace analysis, methodologies of design and implementation. Solid operating knowledge (deeper specifics are better) for web servers, cluster management, high availability, database administration, auth/directory services, backups, caching, analysis, FTP, SNMP, JSON, java, virtualization. Understand automation principles and design. Familiarity with technical concepts of root cause analysis, systems optimization, configuration and source code management, and automation.
- TOOLS – any familiarity a plus: Puppet, Ansible, Satellite / Katello, OpenShift, Jenkins.
- JOB COMPLEXITY: Responsible for implementation of basic architectural design of hardware, software and/or networking systems. Analyzes systems and determines business requirements. Ensures completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance. Keeps informed of new technology. Follow and execute Rackspace change management. Contribute and organize central store of knowledge. Attend interdepartmental meetings
- OPERATION: Operates under general supervision. Understands when to escalate issues to coworkers or management. Works with teammates and manager for task prioritization on a daily or weekly basis.
WHAT MAKES YOU THE RIGHT RACKER FOR THIS ROLE:
- Know when to seek out guidance and knowledge
- Ability to learn and adapt to Rackspace specific tools.
- Effectively communicating, both verbally and in writing
- Possessing excellent phone and video etiquette
- Good personal organization habits – follow up, responsiveness, monitoring email and chat, having ome lifting up to 20 pounds required. Some evening and weekend work may be required. On call rotations require
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.